The Higher Taste
Ayurvedic Cooking Class
The Higher Taste is a practical cooking class inspired by Ayurvedic and sattvic (pure) principles from the ancient Vedic sciences that give life to our yoga and spiritual practices. Inspired by Ayurveda, the ancient science of holistic medicine, learn how to prepare vegetarian dishes that nourish and support your body but also your heart and mind.
- Explore the principles of what makes food healthy and pure
- Discover how to use spices and make spice mixtures for great flavors and tastes
- Learn the secrets of making your food easy to digest and assimilate
Each class combines participatory cooking demonstrations, discussion and ends with a delicious meal for everyone!
1) Curried Cauliflower And Potatoes – Cauliflower and Potato Curry is a creamy and deliciously seasoned vegetable dish, loaded with so much flavor. The cauliflower and potatoes soak the sauce right up and are the perfect vessel for it.
2) Rice With Green Peas And Almonds – The quintessential Indian side dish, pilaf, with its unique combination of exotic spices, green peas and crunchy almonds, offers a world of flavor and texture in each bite.
3) Pineapple Semolina Halava – Known as kesari in south India and halava in north, it is made in every household in India and you never need a special occasion for making it. Halava can be made using semolina, whole wheat flour, lentils, carrots etc. Out of these the one made with semolina (sooji) is the most popular. In this semolina halava recipe pineapple has been added to give it a tasty twist.
Subala Das serves as a Senior Educator & Ashram Director of the ISKCON temple in Chicago. Between the ages of 22 and 31 he lived as a Vaishnava monk, studying in the ISKCON ashram in New York City. He’s a talented musician and kirtan wallah. He now resides in Chicago and teaches Bhakti Yoga philosophy, mantra meditation and sattvic (pure) cooking techniques and methods.